Apparently Open Office on Hardy Heron doesn’t come with Spell Check support out of the box. To enable it, you need to follow the following steps.
1. Open up Open Office Writer and goto the menu item “Install New Dictionaries” in File>Wizards.
2. A Read-Only File with text links to various languages opens. You will want to click on ‘English’
3. In the page that is displayed click on the button “Start DictOOo”
4. A dialog opens. (In case you are not able to view the windows fully, goto the Gnome Menu item “Appearance” in System>Preferences and set the Visual Effects to None to disable Compiz. Do once again from step 1.)
5. Click ‘Next’ Once and in the next screen, click on the button “Retrieve the List”. Open Office will connect to the dictionaries server and retrieve a list of dictionaries available. You are serially allowed to select the needed a) Spell Checker dictionaries in the first windows, b) The Hyphenation Dictionaries in the next window and finally the c) Thesarus Dictionaries.
6. Click Next Once while it downloads and displays information on the files to be installed. Click Next Once again for it to finally install the selected dictionaries.
That is possibly all you need to do to setup your dictionaries. Now go to the Open Office Menu, “Tools> Options”, Expand the “Language Settings” Section, select “Languages” and set “Default Language for Documents: Western” to English (USA) or English (UK).
When you select a language, if it has a tick mark with ‘ABC’ written to the left of the name of the language, the Dictionary for that language is installed. English(India) apparently doesn’t have a dictionary that can be downloaded yet.
Hope this helps. Let me know if the post was useful